Friday, October 16, 2020

Short Film vs. Feature Length Film

 In my opinion, the short film was better than the feature-length film. the short film does a number of things better than the movie. for one, the short film does not have any dialogue. while one may see this as a negative, I think it helps the setting. between the two movies, both have similar settings but I believe the short is much more vicious in the presentation. for example, 9 is living in the wild and collecting things to survive on his own, but in the feature-length film, there is a dangerous encounter in the beginning but 9 is then taken to a save haven among the dolls. I think this removes some of the danger that the word had that was implied by immediately giving 9 a resting point. he does leave shortly after, but I still think the damage has been done. I also prefer the character of 5 as a mentor figure rather than how he is presented in the film. in the short, the feeling of a mentor is given through the character's interactions when much is said with simple movements and 5 directing him how to take off a lightbulb. however, a newly born 9 is expected to direct a 5 that has obviously been alive for much longer (workshop, friends, etc.) and 5 is supposed to find solace when 9 tells him to do things. newly born 9. The short gives more of a connection to the viewer in 2 minutes that the movie does in 30. 5s sacrifice in the movie is supposed to be comparable to 2s, but I feel that 2s ignorance in taking the piece with him made me angry with him in his stupidity. all in all, I think the addition of dialogue in the film is a minor detriment but makes me prefer the short film much more.


Shane Acker, Director



No comments:

Post a Comment